The J. M. Smucker Company (www.smuckers.com) was founded in 1897 when the Company's namesake and founder sold his first product — apple butter — from the back of a horse-drawn wagon. Today, more than 110 years later, the Company is the market leader in fruit spreads, peanut butter, shortening and oils, ice cream toppings, and health and natural foods and beverages in North America under such icon brands as Smucker's, Jif and Crisco.
The Company has been headquartered in
Ohio for over 110 years, and has been family-run for four generations. The J. M. Smucker Company was recognized as the top company in FORTUNE Magazine’s 2004 annual survey of The 100 Best Companies to Work For. The J. M. Smucker Company has over 3,500 employees worldwide and distributes products in more than 45 countries.
Since June 2004, the J.M. Smucker Company has acquired International Multifoods Corp, Eagle Family Foods, Carnation canned milk brands,
Europe’s Best frozen fruit and vegetables, and Folgers coffee. As a result of these Corporate acquisitions, Smucker Canada now has even broader brand recognition, with Robin Hood and Five Roses flour and grain-based products, Bick’s pickles and condiments, Golden TempleÒ flours and rices, Red RiverÒ hot cereals, Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk, Carnation ® evaporated milk, Europe’s Best ® frozen fruit and vegetables, and Folgers ® . The flour, condiment and frozen fruit & vegetable brands have leading market positions and affirm our leadership position in the
U.S. and rank us as one of the top food companies in
The Company has greater scale and marketing representation than previously, and is able to take advantage of increased cross-branding and cross-promotional opportunities.
Smucker Foods of Canada, Co
· In 1988, J.M. Smucker Inc. entered
Canada with the acquisition of the Shirriff marmalade brand from Kellogg, and established distribution of the cornerstone Smucker brand fruit spreads and ice cream toppings.
· In 1993 J.M. Smucker acquired the spreads division from Culinar. The Canadian regional brands included in the acquisition were Double Fruit fruit spreads Vachon fruit & sweet spreads, Guest fruit spreads, and Grenache sweet spreads.
· The acquisition of a jam & jelly production facility in
Quebec accompanied the acquisition of Culinar’s spreads division. The facility, located in Ste. Marie de Beauce, produced 95% of the volume requirements for
Canada before the JifÒ/CriscoÒ acquisitions.
· Smucker’s has grown to be the #1 branded manufacturer of processed fruit spreads in Canada, with dominant national share in the Jams, Jellies and Marmalades category
· In October of 2001, the J.M. Smucker Company purchased Procter & Gamble’s JifÒ peanut butter and CriscoÒ cooking oil, shortening and cooking spray brands. The combination of these icon brands like Smucker’sÒ, JifÒ and CriscoÒ, all with number one market positions In North America, created a new and exciting company.
· In August of 2006, Smucker
Canada purchased the Five Roses flour brand from the ADM Company. This brand has the number one market share in
Quebec, and has further enhanced the overall Smucker market position within the baking category.
· Smucker also enjoys a significant presence in the condiment aisle – Bick’sÒ is the leading trademark, with a dominant share in the pickle category.
· In 2007 and 2008, Smucker
Canada integrated the Eagle Brand® and Carnation® canned milk products, as well as
Europe’s Best® frozen fruit and vegetables and Folgers® coffee.
· Smucker strategy is to develop and acquire North American icon brands that are either category leaders or can become category leaders.
· Smucker has developed a Canadian management team that personifies the five Smucker basic beliefs of Quality, Ethics, People, Growth, and
Independence. Their focus is to continue to build an organizational culture that allows for significant business growth, as well as offering individuals an outstanding work environment.