A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to
being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And
the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take
what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the
planet. What you get here is
challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and
you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at
the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did
it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more
enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single
project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within
your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having
ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of
success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and
ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is
always about more than just a job.
Mars has net sales of more than $33 billion, operates six
business segments including Petcare, Chocolate, Wrigley, Food, Drinks,
Symbioscience, and more than 75,000 Associates worldwide that are putting its
Principles into action to make a difference for people and the planet through
Mars brands include: Petcare – PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®,
WHISKAS®, BANFIELD® Pet Hospital, CESAR®, SHEBA®, DREAMIES® and NUTRO®;
Chocolate – M&M’S®, SNICKERS®, DOVE®, GALAXY®, MARS®, MILKY WAY® and TWIX®;
Wrigley – DOUBLEMINT®, EXTRA®, ORBIT® and 5™ chewing gums, SKITTLES® and
STARBURST® candies, and ALTOIDS® AND LIFESAVERS® mints. Food – UNCLE BEN’S®,
DOLMIO®, EBLY®, MASTERFOODS®, SEEDS OF CHANGE® and ROYCO®; Drinks – ALTERRA
COFFEE ROASTERS™, THE BRIGHT TEA COMPANY™, KLIX® and FLAVIA®; Symbioscience –
COCOAVIA® and WISDOM PANEL®.
Mars Canada is a subsidiary of the US family-owned business
known as Mars, Incorporated, one of the leading global manufacturers of branded
products. Established in the late 1940's, our three segments – Petcare,
Chocolate and Food help Canadians celebrate life everyday through food
experiences. We are an organization that is guided by our Five Principles:
Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom. It is putting these
principles into action that allows us to make a difference to people and the
planet, through our performance.
Mars Canada is looking for a Commercial Buyer of Raw
Materials in Bolton, Ontario
This role is responsible for developing and implementing Raw
Material strategies to drive sustainable supply, maximized value for money and
quality improvements across the purchasing categories. This role leads the Raw Material procurement
for the Pet segment at Mars Canada.
- Functional responsibility for Raw Material Buying. This includes ensuring compliance with all
quality, regulatory and supplier quality assurance requirements for this
- Create and execute buying strategies that deliver on
responsible and sustainable buying practices in line with Global standards.
- Partner with internal stakeholders and suppliers to deliver
quality, value, continuous improvement, and lowest total cost of ownership.
- Lead raw material cost improvements, delivering against
- Collaborate with other Mars business segments and
geographies to determine overlap and participate in joint buying opportunities
- Drive efforts to leverage supplier resources to bring new
ideas and process improvements.
- Responsible for new supplier selection and contract
- Activity Management Process support for Raw Materials as
- Delivery against overall Business Plans.
- Defining and implementing the Raw Material sourcing
- Supplier Relationship Management Process for Raw Materials.
- Leadership of Cost Improvement Team.
- Raw Material Financial execution and reporting.
In-depth understanding of all Commercial processes as
- Raw Material
- Quality Requirements
- Financial Management
- Maximizing Value for Money
- Sustainable and Responsible Sourcing Practices
of the following areas:
- Supply Manufacturing
- Research & Development Processes
- Financial Reporting
- Regulatory Practices
Delivering the Plan
- Annual planning process with respect to raw material
- Annual raw material targets for total cost of ownership.
- Proactively managing purchase price variances to
minimize/leverage overall financial impact.
- Taking the required actions to deliver against Purchasing
- Create and execute against the Pet Supply commitments.
- Implementation of Raw Material sustainable process
- Participate in Global Sustainable protocols.
- Deliver against the expectations with regards to the
Supplier Relationship Management Process including supplier/market
categorization, supply strategy and execution, quarterly supplier business
reviews, period reporting on key performance indicators and objective setting.
- Leadership of key projects (Commercial and cross functional)
to deliver against the Supply Chain OGSM.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- University Degree.
- 3 years of direct experience in procurement with significant
understanding of supplier management and manufacturing operations.
- Direct negotiation experience with external suppliers.
- Direct experience in procurement financial management
including establishing plan targets and price risk management.
- Strong understanding of the functional areas of procurement.
- Ability to create and implement strategy while continuing to
deliver the expected business results.
- Demonstrated experience negotiating with external partners.
- Solid understanding of the regulatory guidelines impacting
the functional area of procurement.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong influencing skills (internal and external) with the
ability to communicate at all levels.
- Strong analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Organizational and time management skills.
- Knowledge of food safety, HACCP, ISO and safety practices
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time.
- Successful Completion of a background screen.
- Advanced Degree
- 4+ years of direct experience in procurement with
significant understanding of supplier management and manufacturing operations.
- Supply Chain Management Association (SCMA) designation or
- Company paid relocation is not available for this role.
A criminal records check will be required for this position.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran
status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or
an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is
available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and
no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Mars Canada is committed to equity in employment and
diversity. Mars Canada will provide an inclusive and barrier free recruitment
process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario
Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please
inform Mars Canada of your requirements. For more information please review
Mars Canada's Accessibility Policy and address any questions about that policy